Monday, August 21, 2006

Building Roads



Friends;

I am writing from Al Udeid Airbase where I just completed a needs assessment for the group that is working here. Al Udied is our logistical hub, that is, it is the place where all the equipment needed to do construction in a forward deployed location flows out of. this place is one that is very friendly and welcoming to Americans. Many of the women down town in Doha wear the berka which is a total covering except for the eyes. It is quite hot here and humid compared to Iraq which is hot and dry, much like the American southwest. My assistant Janet and I are headed back to Iraq soon and look forward to our work there. As we are halfway through the deployment many are feeling the strain. One senior NCO told me that 50% of the Red Horse members who are deployed will get divorced when they arrive home. many of the full time military members here have deployed numerous times and one young man shared with me today that he has only been home to share time with his six year old two of those six years. This is one reason why I feel the service I provide here is significant. having a stable home, church and marriage I am able to be a resource for these dedicated young Americans. I a attaching a couple of pictures to this post. One is of our helicopter ride from FOB Sharona to Bagram. Janet and I were the only ones in the aircraft other than the aircrew. I also got a shot of our road crew headed out on the job making a road in the rural area of Afghanistan. I can't share any details abut this road but suffice it to say it is a significant undertaking. It is hard to describe the deep gratitude I feel for all the prayer and kind words that have been offered in support of my work here. From my family who think that this is about "Being a credit" to my fantastic congregation charging in to the fall program to my many friends and colleagues. I thank GOD for you! GOD keep us all in peace!!

Blessings

DAVE


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home