Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Afghanistan

9 August 2006

I am writing from Bagram, Afghanistan. My initial feeling when I arrived here was that I am living a documentary. This is my 9th change of location since I arrived in this Area of Operations! What a gift it is to be able to perceive our great nation's work in so many locations. I am posting a few pictures of our latest adventures. One piciture is of the interior of a C-17 aircraft, my new best friend for travel in the AOR. Janet and I traveled to Kandahar and then on here to Bagram. Bagram is like paradise compared to Iraq and Kuwait. The base is surrounded by mountains and sits at 4400 feet elevation. It is why they used to call Goodland, Kansas a mountain climate. I have an industrial golf cart for transportation which is really fun to drive around. The housing is in temporary quarters which is not as good as I have had and not as bad as I have had.

I will be doing a needs assessment here tomorrow, to gage how our military members are doing in regard to the deployment. I have also done these at COB Speicher, GOB Marez and have been asked to do one in AL Udeid on my way back to Iraq.

The final picture I am posting (or my post mistress, daughter Heidi) is a picture of a little patient in the Egyptian hospital here on base. The Red Horse deployed members here at Bagram have a humanitarian mission to this hospital. Afghanistan is one of the poorest nations in the world but all of its people are children of GOD and our neighbors. GOD bless the children! Many blessings to you! More later!

DAVE

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave! Thanks for keeping us up to date. We think about you often and hope things are going well for you. By your picture, you're looking lean and "mean" -- well, lean anyway. Are you getting enough to eat? I'm sure the heat is a contributing factor. Plan on a trip to the Brookville Hotel at your earliest when you return. No doubt you could stand a plate or two of fried chicken! Continued blessings on your ministry. (BTW: I have your blog address posted on the home page of the synod web site, so you're probably getting lots of hits from all over the synod!)

Living in God's amazing grace ...

Dan Glamann, Assistant to the Bishop
Central States Synod, ELCA
www.css-elca.org

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet little baby! Does it remind you of your grandkids?

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home