Monday, July 17, 2006

Successful Convoy

(Pastor Dave is on far right for those who have any question!)

Dear Friends;

Its been a few days since I have posted to this blog. My chaplain's Assistant, Msgt Janet O'Keeffe-Hernandez has joined the mission here. She is in professional law enforcement in Texas and so the security part of her mission is well taken care of. She is qualified as expert on both the M-9 and the M-16 weapons which is a comfort also. I find her smart and refreshing work with. I am confident she will consistently add value to this deployment. She is pictured on the monastery wall facing the Russian Tank graveyard. There is something poetic in this image, a monastery across the road for weapons of destruction.

Last Monday I had the opportunity to ride on my first convoy. As many of you are aware, convoy can be dangerous and the majority of casualties in Iraq are on convoys. What isn't stated in the news is that there are hundreds of convoy every day most of which are without incident. Ours was one without incident. It was truly a rigorous experience though. We hit the start point at 0830 in the morning. The teams usual practice is to hit the start point at 0630 due to the fact that is is simply cooler to drive during the early day. We had a truck break, the alternator went out and some of the convoy teams members replaced it within in an hour. I am posting a few shots of the convoy as well. Some on the convoy team are pictured with me. Sgt Barrows is to my right. He was deployed to Romania with me in 2003 and was my truck commander. He was engaged in Iraq however, I just stayed on the base. Next to him is Sgt Viars who briefed us on intelligence and was a truck commander. Next to Sgt Viars is Sgt Snipes, another truck commander and on end is Capt. Eric Hanssen, the convoy commander and commander of the CLP team. Capt. Hanssen is an Air Force Academy graduate and sharp young leader.

I was thrilled by the experience of riding on a convoy. It is considered a combat mission in Iraq but I would have to say it is combat only if we are attacked. We are not looking for trouble as so many in the army are doing. Many in our organization are attending a memorial service tomorrow for a young man who was killed in action on a convoy in Mosul. He was hit by a sniper. I will report on that event in a later post. It is a reminder that what we are doing here is dangerous and is fatal for too many young Americans. GOD bless their souls.


-- Rev. Dave Fulton
Making Disciples to Make Peace
St. Paul's Lutheran Church
925 N. Waco
Wichita, KS 67203



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you wear all those clothes in that heat?
Am glad your assistant is so qualified. Hope she keeps you safe.

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chaplain Dave- Thank you for the note on your Chaplain's Assistant. She is a great person and friend. We miss her very much here in Texas. She will be a great asset to you as she has been to me as part of our Law Enforcement Critical Incident team. Not only is she a very skill State Trooper, she is very compassionate and hardworking. We will keep all of you in our prayers.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a 102 here in Kansas City today but I'll bet it was even hotter there! Am glad to hear you are surrounded by good people and always by the Spirit. Stay safe.

Peace
Cheryl
Prairie Village, KS

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave,
A brief introduction. My name is Larry Robinson and I am Janet's Bro-In-Law. It is very nice that you spend the time to inform us "back home" of all the goings-on in the war. Please do what you must to effectively perform your job, but for your's and Janet's sake, don't take any unnecessary risks. We all want our soldiers to return home safely, especially her. My son says prayers for her & her follow soldiers every night. Keep posting on your blog; it means a whole lot to us. Tell Janet we said "hi"

Thanks,
Larry R
Houston, Tx

Ps. In Texas, that round thing on the ground is called a "cow pie", not too dangerous if you step on one. I don't think there are a lot of cows in the desert.... Watch out for the "cow pies"...........

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rev. Fulton, may I call U Pastor Dave, as my Sister in Law Chari McLean does?
I am Bob Laham, married to Joyce, sister to Charline. I am Orthodox Christian by Faith and of Lebanese descent by way of my Father+(Bait alLaham) and Mother+(Bait alAssais).
My Mother+ was US born, in Iowa and my Father+ was born in Ain Arab. in the Bekaa in Lebanon. The Laham Family is from the City of Rachaya alWadi in the Schouf Mountains, possibly Mt. Lebanon. If U have the opportunity, while in the Near East, try to get to Byblos and the other Historical areas.
Of course this is not the best time to check out Beirut or South LB., but it is a most beautiful and spectacular part of the World.
Esprcially the way it rises out of the Meditteranian.
I'd better sign with U now, but want U to know We pray for U and All, that He will protect U and bring U back Home safely.
Regards, Bob Laham

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home