Thursday, July 13, 2006

Friends;

Thanks for all the feedback on this BLOG. It seems that I have experienced alot of firsts since I have been here: a first helicopter ride, the first time in Iraq, my first convoy, my first meeting with actual people form Iraq. Tomorrow I will experience my first over the road convoy mission. I have been working with the convoy team since I trained with them in Kuwait in early June. Now I get to experience what they do, another first. Another first is that this is the longest time I have been absent from a congregation I serve in my 30 years of ordained service. While I conceive of what I do here as a significant outreach of St. Paul's' Lutheran in Wichita I yearn to be present with those whom I am privileged to be pastor. I am deeply grateful that one of my mentors in ministry and a long time colleague, Pastor Sally Fahrenthold is filling my shoes in Wichita. While I have great confidence in Pr. Sally and in St. Paul's I still miss a direct connection with that SPIRIT filled community.

Now some news from the deployment. I have stated elsewhere in this blog I am not able to speak in detail abut the mission here, since our enemies get 80% of their intelligence from public sources such as this blog. Let it suffice to say that this detachment, the Red Horse compound at COB Speicher is in significant transition as we prepare to send a team to Afghanistan and welcome a team who have just completed Combat Skills Training and their orientation at Camp Buehring in Kuwait. My assistant will be a part of those new comers. I look forward to meeting her and becoming a chaplain service team. COB Speicher is also receiving a group called Det. 10 who are civil engineers engaged in the vital mission of route repair. They fix the holes in the road the insurgents make. When all are in place we will have a nice little community here at Speicher. This is why Speicher is my home base for this deployment. Blessings to you and thanks for checking in on me!

DAVE

Received word early this morning that the convoy arrived safely in Mosul.....Heidi

3 Comments:

Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

Doing great dad...be a credit!

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is certainly a different world. Keep up the good work.

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Chaplain. Say hi to Janet. She worked for me at the 147th in Houston, which means she tried to keep me out of trouble, and I tried to do everything she told me to do. I hope you listen to her--she knows her stuff!!

Having just gotten back from OEF, I can relate to the awesome pull of minisering to the local people. That is of course not why we as chaplains are there, but you can be very instrumental in helping your constituency be involved in something outside of themselves. I enjoyed seeing the glow on the faces of unchurched soldiers doing amazingly giving things. As I am sure you have figured out by now, you are 3 times older than some of your charges!! God has given you a huge ministry right there in DCUs. God bless you as he uses you in their lives. They are your true children, even more than the Iraquis!!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home