Saturday, May 06, 2006

Friends;

I am preparing to head out to the FOB tomorrow. FOB means Forward Operating Base. When I get to Iraq I will be working out of FOBs so this is a preview of that action. It also involves some rather rigorous training. They have been cautioning us abut what we say via email and other means because it may compromise security. For instance if I told you what we were doing in training the bad guys might get a glimpse and prepare to defeat the training we are engaged in. I think it is safe though to share what is happening in terms of Chaplain Services. I drove a Catholic man to mass this afternoon. He was very grateful. A key responsibility for me is to provide for the free exercise of religion for military members. In order for me to take the is man to church I had to find out when services were in Sparta, WI. I then had to find out if the commander would allow anyone to leave the base. (He readily gave his permission). Then I had to find transportation. Finally, I had to get the word out about the service I was providing. In this case the commander announced it at our Battalion formation that we have every morning at 5:30am. I have entered into a habit of getting up at 4:00am, shaving etc. and then going to my office to do my devotions. After the formation we have breakfast and the day begins. Tomorrow, I will have chapel at 9:00am, go to training at 1030 (ISOPREP- in case we become prisoners of war) and then I have a class in the afternoon and we depart for the FOB at 700pm. The word I am getting now is that the FOB training will be for 16 days. It is likely I will be out of touch on this blog for a while. Overall, my mood is reasonably good. Being in the full time military is an adjustment, but even more of an adjustment in the semi-field conditions I am in here at Fort McCoy. I wish you all the blessings of GOD!! Dave

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For any further comments from us, Dave, we'll be the M's. You can easily picture us when you think of the 4 most beautiful grandchildren in the universe...those you Baptized years ago.
We remind you that you and your whole family will be held in our prayers. And we hope you can feel...not just our prayers, but God's grace and protection.
Most of all, we thank you for what you're doing.

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, It's a small world. While there at your training you're only about 30 miles from where I grew up. LaCrosse. It's a nice city. When and if you get a break, check it out. The best of luck to you my friend. God be with you during the next several months. Come home safely and Thanks for your part with ministering to our troops. By the way I still have that Silver Dollar you gave me many years ago.K.M.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle D,

Take care of yourself. Thank you for what you are doing.

From your Twin Nephew! The gray hair one.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Steve Forman said...

You will be in my prayers. God bless you for all you do, and for all you are in Him.

Steve Forman

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home