Thursday, November 23, 2006

thanksgiving

Friends;

It is Thanksgiving Day in Iraq. It is a bittersweet day for those of us deployed with the 557 Expeditionary Red Horse Squadron. Yesterday we learned of our date for departure home. (a little under two weeks from now) It is also a significant family day. One of our deployed members was in line behind me for our Thanksgiving Luncheon (which was outstanding!). She had a Styrofoam box for her food which folk use to grab a quick bite. I asked her if she wasn't going to stay and eat. She said thanksgiving is for family and since she wasn't with family she was going to eat alone. This is something of the heartbreak that many of our deployed members feel.

My heart especially aches for those who have young children or young marriages that will be much stressed when they arrive home. And so I am thankful this day for family. For my immediate family and my extended family. How wonderful they have been these past 7 months. I am also thankful for my family of faith, brothers and sisters who have supported me and those with whom I serve in prayer. I could actually feel the spirit wind in my sails as I served here. A wind born of prayer. I thank all who have followed this blog over the months; your interest and engagement in this journey are something I deeply appreciate. I am also thankful for Janet's friendship and support during this deployment. We managed to accomplish a significant ministry on this deployment.

I am attaching a picture that I took at sunset at Al Asad. It captures much of the depth I feel about this land as I prepare to depart. Iraq has a mystic beauty, the beauty of the desert. It is a beauty that is cherished in the American Southwest. The beauty is underscored however by an abiding anguish. The anguish expressed by the little girl I met in Mosul who said all she wanted was to be able to go to the playground without fear of a bomb going off or of getting shot. It is the anguish of American military members weeping at the memorial service of a young lieutenant killed in Mosul.

It seems that American policy makers are taking a hard look at our involvement here. This is a good thing. I hope the discussion will include the heroic progress that has taken place here. People, there is much, much more to Iraq and Afghanistan than you read in the paper or view on the news. The breathtaking accomplishments of the American military in this Area of Operations are making history. To ignore these contributions is to ignore the best America is accomplishing in this place. My hope is to tell this story with passion and precision when I return. And yes, I am thankful for this experience. It has been difficult at times. Frustrating at times. Risky at times. And glorious at times.Overall, it has been an enriching journey, both here in the AOR and in discussion with those back home. GOD bless you and keep you grace and peace.

From Iraq

DAVE

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is for Chaplain Fulton and his Family,Friends and Parishioners.

I want to say thank you and God Bless you all. I have been truely honored and deeply moved to have served our Country, the military service and our brothers and sisters in the service. As most, we are all preparing to be reunited with our family and friend at home, however I will say that I'm feeling a sense of sadness in leaving all of this behind. I have grown and been touched in ways words can not express since I have been here in great ways. I was just teasing Chaplain Fulton today telling him how he will hear a whisper of "Don't go outside the Wire" after we depart...and I told him during our travels it is my duty to ensure we both get home to our family's and friends.I was always nagging him about safety, safety, safety!!!! and how he needed to be home to see his new grandbaby due after he returns and see his wife and kids. We laugh now at the not so funny then times of me dragging my luggage across the rocks in the 120+ heat...and how that taught me to pack much lighter :-). I remember trying to catch a photo of him when he dozed off in a chair, but my camera beeped when I turned it on...Yes we will look back at these times and I will cherish them very much. I wanted to thank Chaplain Fultons friends, family and parishioners for giving up time with your father, friend and pastor and allowing me to share our ministry with those I hold near and dear to my heart our fellow troops. Thank you Chaplain Fulton for sharing in this very proud moment in my life it has been an iteresting 6 months and when you travel and see someone stuggling with thier luggage (hee hee) may you reflect upon our travels across Afghanistan, Kuwait, Qatar and Iraq and I hope you get a good laugh at the poor sole by just remember that was me. God Bless you and best wishes on your endevours you will continue with your church and state. Janet (MSgt Janet O'Keeffe-Hernandez, 147 FW, Ellington Field Houston,The Great State of Texas)

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travel Safely,

Our prayers are with you and those with whom you serve.

Elaine Harvey St. Paul's.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog faithfully and truely look forward to your return. Praising God for your safety and return. I love you with the love of the Lord.
Grandma Vicki

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home